Why Is It Important To Have A Carbon Monoxide Detector In Your House?

If you have a smoke alarm in your house, it is good but not enough. After all, most new homes have them installed since most communities have made it mandatory. Do you have carbon monoxide detectors? Do you need it?

Most homeowners underestimate the importance of carbon monoxide detectors. In fact, most parents forget these essential gadgets when they move into a new house. They forget that carbon monoxide is a deadly gas that is produced by furnaces, gas heaters, burnt insulators, and generators.

Center for Disease Control (CDC) reports estimates that approximately 15,000 people are treated annually in various health facilities under emergency cases due to carbon monoxide exposures. Sadly, about 500 depart from us yearly from matters related to this dangerous odorless gas.

Sources of Carbon Monoxide

Some of the usual sources of CO include:

  • Gas furnaces
  • Stove or gas range
  • Leakages in gas lines
  • Gas water heaters
  • Space heaters
  • Generators

Having carbon monoxide detectors is paramount in every home. It ought to be mandatory if you have nonelectric appliances that use gas, wood, coal and other fuels. If your garage is connected to your home, consider having it as well.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention

Most institutions offer ways of protecting your loved ones from CO poisoning. We have picked a few for you that is crucial. They include:

  • Ensure your heating system is inspected, maintained and repaired regularly
  • Ensure you have a battery run CO detector
  • Replace your CO detector battery regularly
  • Avoid burning things in a fireplace without a proper vent
  • In case your detector sounds leave your house immediately and dial 911

Symptoms of CO Poisoning

Carbon monoxide poisoning has various symptoms based on the amount of exposure. In most cases, headaches, dizziness, nausea, weakness, vomiting, unconsciousness, breath shortness and loss of muscle control among others.

It is worth mentioning that carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that can increase in volume in your home without your knowledge until it reaches toxic levels. If you need carbon monoxide detectors in Jasper, Texas, contact A-1 Refrigeration and Air Conditioning.